Quick recap of Mom's Day

Overall, the Mother's Day lunch was a success. The pork roast was absolutely amazing, even with an ingredient substitution. The recipe called for ginger preserves, which I couldn't find anywhere (anyone know where to find some in Tucson??). I subbed a mango chutney that I added a lot of fresh grated ginger to. Even with that last-minute switch, it was super tender, juicy, and the glaze was fantastic. I'll be doing that again, that's for sure. The link to the recipe for that is in my previous post.

The other standout was the melon salad with prosciutto. I was prepared for it to be ok, but it turned out to be kind of a knockout. The bitterness of the arugula with the sweetness of the melon and the tang of the vinaigrette with the salt of the prosciutto really worked.

The strawberry cake turned out to be a little denser than I'd imagined, but I may have overmixed it. I didn't think so at the time, but that's sort of how it came out.

So overall, the food was good, the company was great (everyone enjoyed some Wii bowling), and the cleanup wasn't as bad as it could have been because we did a good amount of prep on Saturday. Hurray for a successful celebration!

1 comments:

June 6, 2010 at 10:14 PM lose 5 pounds in a week said...

That melon salad sounds really good. Sounds like you got all the great flavors in 1 meal :)

Post a Comment