My five favorite Tucson restaurants

This is a meme that should be expected pretty early on, eh? I tried doing this in some sort of order, but that didn't work out so well. With that in mind, here are some of my fave spots and why they're on this list:

Feast - Feast is a little spot where the focus is really on the customer. The servers are always top-notch, the menu changes regularly, the wine selection is fantastic for a place its size, and I enjoy Chef Doug Levy's 'Dear Feastlings' emails with updates, events, and new menu info.

Marlene's Hungry Fox - No website here, they're too busy cracking eggs! I love a hearty American-style breakfast, and that's what you get at the Hungry Fox. The bake their own white bread daily, as well as their cinnamon rolls. They serve 'double yolk' eggs, which means that you get four eggs in their two-egg breakfast. This is not health food, but it's tasty, tasty, tasty.

Cafe Poca Cosa - This is not your Nana's Mexican food. It is completely sublime, though. The menu changes twice daily, and it always sounds so good that you want to try a bunch of things. You're in luck, though, because you can always get a chef's selection combination. They'll pick out three or so of the dishes, and bring out your surprise meal. You don't get to pick what comes out, but trust me, it'll be good.

El Guero Canelo
- Here's some great taco stand style food. Pick your burrito size, what you want in it, and wait for your number to be called. I really love the caramelos, as well as the 'condiment bar' where you can get your pick of any number of salsas, roasted spring onions & jalapenos, cucumbers, radishes, limes, etc. It's a do-it-yourself side dish!

Mayflower - Yep, it's in a strip mall. It's small, sparsely decorated, and features an all-you-can-eat buffet. Normally, I'm not a buffet guy, but theirs is pretty good (and way cheap). To really experience them, though, order off the menu. Ask one of the young, friendly serves (most of whom are family) what's good that day and you won't go wrong.

So what are your five faves?

5 comments:

May 4, 2009 at 8:16 AM Adam said...

Here's some o' mine (These change regularly)

1. Casa Vicente
2. Yamato
3. Janos
5. Primo
4. Del Taco (comic relief)

May 4, 2009 at 9:27 PM Kevin said...

I know what you mean about changing regularly. The ones I listed are pretty regularly on my list, though.

I love Casa Vicente as well, and it's hard to beat Janos (when I can afford it!). I'll have to revisit Yamato - I haven't been there in a while.

As for Del Taco, I'm glad you pointed out that it was for comic relief!

Thanks for your list!

July 6, 2009 at 3:54 PM jennifer said...

1. Cafe Poca Cosa
2. El Minuto
3. El Guero Canelo
4. The Dish
5. Kingfisher

Thats pretty much my stadard list, but J Bar becomes a summer time favorite because of the specials.

July 7, 2009 at 8:46 AM Kevin said...

Hi Jennifer -

Thanks for your list!

I've actually never eaten at The Dish, but I've only heard good things.

I'm a fan of J-Bar as well, but was a little disappointed with their July 4th shindig. Granted it was a buffet (hard to pull off under any circumstances), but I really expected a little more from Janos & crew. I'm sure I'll get over it at some point and be back again soon!

July 27, 2009 at 9:08 AM Michael McKisson said...

I'll list the places I find myself returning to often. There are places in Tucson that I have had amazing meals, but can't afford to eat there often. The Dish is an example of that. It is probably the best meal I have had in Tucson, but I can't afford it.

Here is my list:
El Guero Canelo
Neo of Melaka/Seri Melaka
Yamato
Barrio Grill
Grimaldi's Pizza
Chile Relleno Burritos

I know that is 6, but I couldn't decide between a couple of them.

Post a Comment