My own personal Omnivore's Dilemma*

I’m happy to eat just about anything. I have a daughter who only eats things that weren’t once happily walking/flying/swimming around their natural (or cage-related) environment. Yep, I eat meat, and have a vegetarian daughter.

We were all vegetarians once-upon-a-time (and for 7 years), but I fell victim to a bacon incident about 3 years ago and haven’t looked back. So having spent quite a bit of time as a veggie myself, I can understand where she’s coming from and don’t feel like it’s ‘just a phase’ on her part. Holy cow, she’s been vegetarian for the last 11 of her 15 (well, she turns 15 in about three weeks) years!

She’s tried eating meat (and fish, and fowl) on a couple of times at my urging, but it’s just not working for her. My younger (12y.o.) daughter will eat meat for the most part.

If we were the type of family that just ate out all the time, it really wouldn’t be an issue. But I really like to cook. I don’t like to cook so much though, that I want to make two separate meals (or even entrees) every night. I also don’t always want to leave the meat out of dishes and mix at the table – curries and such just aren’t the same! I like tofu and meat substitutes just fine, but don’t want them all the time.

So I’m trying to figure out how to respect her decision (one that I had a strong hand in her making in the first place) yet still have meals that will make everyone happy. Do I have her make her own meatless entrée every night (making sure that it’s not a PB&J)? Do I just give up and go back to being vegetarian when she’s home? Do I force her to eat meat? Do I make her pick it out of what I make?

I’m curious if there are any other folks out there going through the same thing. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I’d love to hear them.

*Apologies to Michael Pollan for co-opting the title of his awesome book, and apologies to you, dear readers, for the unashamed use of clipart in this post.

-TFD

2 comments:

August 4, 2009 at 1:57 PM Anonymous said...

TFD,
I was a veg. from age 13-33. Yes, that's right, 20 years! Many of those years, 13-20, I lived with my parents.
My suggestion is this. Let her make her own food. That is how I lived, and it was fine. Tell her when you're going to the store to buy food for the week to come along or make a list of things she needs, and let her cook on her own. I learned at an early age how to cook and prepare meals and that's great. Many kids never learn to cook and in adulthood, they're powerless to prepare a good meal - destined to eat out all the time because they have no clue how to make anything but cereal and sandwiches.
Honestly, it sounds like you're frustrated, so relive the stress and teach her to cook. There's nothing wrong with that. Let her be her. You be you. Be a happy family.

August 4, 2009 at 2:06 PM Kevin said...

Wow - 20 years! And I thought I walked that road for a long time...

You know, I'm not really frustrated by it, I just want to get input on whether or not I'm doing the right thing. The 'right thing' in this case being almost all of the options I listed above (with the exception of forcing her to eat meat).

I do occasionally have her make her own food, and even cook for all of us. Sometimes it's just easier for me to do the cooking than to teach my girls cooking (which really comes into play after a long day at work). That's just something I need to work on...

Thanks for your comment. I really appreciate hearing from folks with personal insight on stuff like this.

-TFD

Post a Comment